After living in the UK for 30 years and had never made any Malaysian cakes before,at the age of 60, I will attempt to make my favourite cakes with a guide book from Malaysian Cakes and Desserts booklet by Rohani Jelani. I have added another book Malay Kuih by Norzailina Nordin as a guide to my cake making.

Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Steamed Caramel Cake

I am pleased to say that I made such a good Steamed Caramel Cake that it was demolished so fast that I decided to do another one a few days later.

What I need to make this cake. 
150 gm fine granulated sugar
100 ml hot water
70 gm butter, melted
75 ml evaporated milk
1 egg, beaten
150 gm flour
1 level teaspoon baking soda
Pinch of salt
70 gm fine granulated sugar

Serves 6 to 8
Preparation time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 30-40 mins

First I melted the sugar in a small saucepan until it turn dark brown and then the hot water was added. I didn't know that this action is quite dangerous until I felt some burning on my hands. Be careful if you try this in the future!
Next the melted butter, milk and the beaten egg was added to the the caramel when it was sufficiently cooled. Then it was poured in the middle of a bowl containing sifted flour, baking soda and salt and I mixed it well until it became a smooth batter. The batter was then poured into a cake tin and steamed for 30minutes.When cooked it was left to cool on the cake rack overnight.

On Monday the cake was very much appreciated especially by two stranded medical tourists from Surinam. They loved the cake so much that I decided to do another one for them to enjoy.

At least I know that my version of Malaysian cake is also appreciated by foreigners!

No comments: