After living in the UK for 30 years and had never made any Malaysian cakes before,at the age of 60, I will attempt to make my favourite cakes with a guide book from Malaysian Cakes and Desserts booklet by Rohani Jelani. I have added another book Malay Kuih by Norzailina Nordin as a guide to my cake making.

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tepung Gomak

Tepung Gomak (Green bean flour-coated patties) has been my favourite since childhood. I managed to find the recipe in my newly acquired book Malay Kuih by Norzailina Nordin.I decided to make Tepung Gomak for Faceworks Clinic function on 10th May 2010.

I must admit it wasn't an easy task especially looking for Green (mung) bean flour. However Alina's mother managed to get me some which I was grateful for it.


INGREDIENTS
2 Shredded Pandan leaves
200gm Green (mung) bean flour
FILLING
100gm Green (mung) beans
60gm Dark (soft) brown sugar
30gm Granulated sugar
80gm Grated skinned coconut

DOUGH
240gm Glutinous rice flour
A pinch of Slaked lime mixed with 1tsp water
1/4 tsp Salt
95-100ml Water

On the whole I found it was quite a lengthy process to make this cake.
First I have to make the filling by boiling the green beans until tender and broken up. It wasn't a quick job to soften the green beans and it took me two days. On the second day I added sugar and grated coconut and stirred the pot over medium heat until the filling was quite dry but moist.Then I left it to cool while making the dough.

To make the dough I combined glutinous rice flour, slaked lime and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. I started adding a little water at a time to the flour until it was throughly mixed into a soft dough and left it to rest for a few hours.
To prepare the cake, I took a small piece of dough and rolled it into a ball. After flattening it I placed a teaspoon of the filling in the middle of the dough, enclosed it with my fingers and rolled it again into a small ball then flatten it slightly. I arranged the filled dough balls in a flat container, sprinkled a bit of olive oil to prevent them from sticking, and left them covered overnight in the fridge.

The next morning I placed a large pot of water with pandan leaves on the heat and let it boil. A few minutes later I placed the filled balls into the water in batches. When they float to the top I removed them with a slotted spoon and placed them on a dry tea towel to cool. Then I rolled the balls in Green bean flour and placed them in individual paper containers and took them to work.
The Intraceutical Oxygen Therapy Demo at the Clinic went well and my Tepung Gomak was appreciated by the Australian trainer and American guests.
I didn't forget to reserve a few pieces for Alina's mum!

No comments: