After living in the UK for 30 years and had never made any Malaysian cakes before,at the age of 60, I will attempt to make my favourite cakes with a guide book from Malaysian Cakes and Desserts booklet by Rohani Jelani. I have added another book Malay Kuih by Norzailina Nordin as a guide to my cake making.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sweetcorn Pudding

I made a Sweetcorn Pudding of sort using cornflour and something else a long time ago and it was a disastrous. For my second attempt I am making slight changes and yet still traditional.

What I Need To Make Sweetcorn Pudding:
600mls (21/2 cups) thin coconut milk
60gm (1/2 cup) mung bean flour
180 g(3/4 cup) sugar
1 pandanus leaf, tied into a knot
One 300 g (10-oz)can of creamed corn

I decided to visit the Hero supermarket to get all my ingredients. Hero fascinates me. It contains stuffs that I couldn't find in a clean foreign owned supermarket. The only thing I could not get was sugar - they run out of stock! I don't mind that so much since I don't normally use so much sugar in my cooking.

First I thinned the coconut milk and put it in a pan together with a little sugar and the mung bean flour (left over from the Tepung Gomak). After mixing it well I then dropped the knotted pandanus leaf and creamed corn in the pan. The mixture is cooked over low heat, stirring continuously with a wooden spoon until the mixture boils and is thick and smooth. Leaving it to simmer for about 3 to 4 minutes and then took the pan off the heat.
After removing the pandanus leaf the mixture was spooned into 4 ceramic ramekin dishes which have been rinsed with water. The four little puddings were allowed to cool at room temperature before chilling in the refrigerator.

The next day the pudding was served out of its mould on a dessert plate with a splash of evaporated milk.The pudding tasted delicious and you can see the sweet corn presented themselves well in every scoop.

No comments: